Nugget and I have had a lot of fun taking mini road trips to the beach together. I am lucky enough to have a family home to stay in right outside of Ocean City, so bringing my pup along for vacation is easy. I have been able to find some really fun, dog-friendly spots to hang out if you are vacationing on the eastern shore.
1) Assateague Island: Unfortunately, dogs are not allowed on the Ocean City beach or boardwalk during the summer season. Thank God for Assateague Island! Dogs are welcome here which makes beach days a lot more fun. There is an entrance fee, but I always just get an annual pass for $40. It’s well worth it. Nugget and I have spent many summer days enjoying the various activities the island has to offer. If it’s a particularly hot day, I like to throw on Nugget’s life jacket and take him to the bay side of the island to swim. The bay is perfect for us because the water is very calm and shallow, but still a perfect place to cool off on a hot day. We swim together, and Nugget chases his tennis ball in the water. The area is also equipped with grills, bathrooms, and kayak/SUP rentals. Additionally, the beach area is lined with trees which many people use to hang hammocks on.
There are also various short hiking trails throughout the island. This is a great opportunity to do some sightseeing and let Nugget expel some energy. Nugget and I have been hiking, running, and biking together on the island and we always come back tired and content.
2) Ayer’s Creek: I’m a huge fan of kayaking, and I frequented Ayer’s Creek even before I had Nugget. They have very affordable kayak and SUP rentals, and dogs are welcome! I took Nugget along on our most recent excursion, and it was a blast. Nugget took a bit to get adjusted to the kayak, but he did great. I can’t wait to try it again.
3) Burley Oak Brewing Company: Beer and dogs are two of my favorite things so obviously Burley Oak made my list. Burley Oak is located in Berlin, and you can enjoy some unique craft beers with your dog by your side. I usually take my dog in the early afternoon because the building is small and can get crowded later in the evening. It’s my go-to spot if we are stuck inside because of a rainy beach day.
4) Berlin in general is a great place to take your dog when they have events. There are often events on the weekends that take place right on the main street, and some stores even put water and dog treats on the sidewalk for the dogs to enjoy. Berlin also has Stephen Decatur Park which has a track to run on, tennis courts, pavilion, grills, and a playground. Nugget and I often go there to run or relax.
5) Although dogs are not allowed on the boardwalk during the summer, there technically is an area they are allowed. At the very beginning of the boardwalk on the inlet side is the Inlet Village which is a paved area with stores and restaurants. There is a pretty large dog boutique in there that has dog and beach themed treats, accessories, and souvenirs. It’s really awesome, and they have a lot of unique things. I really liked that they had a large variety of breed-oriented accessories. I can never find anything that is for Puggles, and this store has a lot! Additionally, there is a little restaurant that overlooks the water called the Frog Bar. It has cheap, good food, and you can bring your dog to sit on the deck.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any quality places to put Nugget in daycare in the Ocean City area. I have tried a couple of dog facilities in the area when I wanted to let Nugget play while I had visitors in town, and they were very unprofessional and careless with the care of my dog. I would only use them in a real pinch in the future.
Thankfully, Nugget and I have overall had great experiences on the eastern shore. Are there any other places you can add to the list?